Breath of the Deep (KR#247): fill the target’s lungs with water. Ongoing until resisted. (Currency of the Blue Sea, The Sailor’s Curse, Kiss of Brine)
Cause/Cure Blindness (KR#249): make the target blind without damage to the eyes or nerves, or undo blindness if those are intact. (Grant Sight, Shade of Darkness, The Pharaoh’s Curse).
Cloud Memory (KR#250): block a specific memory in the mind of the target. (Befuddle, Dumfound, Mystify)
Clutch of Nyogtha (KR#250): damage and paralyse the target. Ongoing until interrupted or resisted. (The Vile Wrench, The Insidious Wrath of the Dark Wizard, Ye Loathsome Tickle)
Curse (MoN#632): temporarily reduce the target’s attributes.
Curse of the Putrid Husk (KR#254): the target perceives their flesh as rotting. (The Insidious Nightmare, Summon Seven Devils to Afflick Thine Enemy, Wither the Mind of the Weak)
Death Spell (KR#254): set the target on fire. (Ye Dreadful Prickling, The Curse of the Fiery Doom, Cthuga’s Embrace)
Dominate (KR#254): bend the will of the target to the caster. (Command of the Wizard, The Chant of Possession, Baleful Influence)
Dread Curse of Azathoth (KR#254): drain POW from the target. (Utterance of the Last Syllable, Ye Doleful Leeching, By the True Name Thy Power is Sapped)
Dust of Suleiman (KR#255): harms an extraterrestrial being. Harmless to creatures made of earthly matter. (The Egyptian Powder, Protection of the Dead)
Enthrall Victim (KR#258): put the target in a trance until they are shocked. (Strike Dumb, The Silver Beguiling Tongue)
Evil Eye (KR#259): afflict the target with bad luck. (Ye Rite of Ill Fortune, Dark Curse, Witches’ Hex)
Fist of Yog-Sothoth (KR#259): strike a target with an invisible force and propel them backwards, with a chance to knock them unconscious. (Channel the Strength of the Opener of the Way, Smite Down Thine Enemy, The Hideous Blast of the Foul One)
Flash of Ra (MoN#635): create a blinding flash of light, which can also harm some creatures.
Grasp of Cthulhu (MoN#635): temporarily immobilise the target.
Green Decay (KR#259): turn the target into a pile of green mould. (The Creeping Mold, Ye Rotting Awfulness)
Hands of Colubra (MoN#635): temporarily transform the hands of the caster into venomous snakes which can reach 2m away.
Implant Fear (KR#259): fill the target with dread and disrupt their concentration. (Finger of Doom, Eibon’s Jinx, The Evil Eye)
Melt Flesh (KR#259): heat flesh (living or dead) to its melting point. (Rite of the Dissolution, Liquefy Skin)
Mental Suggestion (KR#260): the target carries out a single command of the caster. (Domination of the Will, Master and Servant, Bend Quarry to Thy Power, Mesmerise, Bend Will, Shake Resolve, Govern Mind, Implant Suggestion)
Mindblast (KR#260): attack the target’s sanity. (Curse of Enfeeblement, Wave of Doom, Abyss of the Mind’s Eye)
Mind Transfer (KR#260): permanently take over a target’s body, leaving the caster’s a dead husk.
Mirror of Tarkhun Atep (KR#261): the caster’s image appears in a mirror the target is looking at, the caster can also see through the mirror. (The Silvery Warning, Reflection of Hate, The All_Seeing Eye)
Pharaoh’s Breath (MoN#636): emit a poisonous vapour affecting everyone who cannot dodge.
Pharaoh’s Wrath (MoN#636): strike the target with lightning.
Power Drain (MoN#636): drain magic points from the target.
Red Sign of Shudde M’ell (KR#261): creates a sign that injures all those near to it. Those closest quake and spasm, unable to move normally. Ongoing until interrupted. (The Red Sign, The Mark of Fiery pain)
Shrivelling (KR#261): injure the target for a variable amount of damage. (Shriving, The Withering Blast of Death, The Black Words)
Steal Life (MoN#637): drain the life of the target, ageing them as the caster becomes younger.
Song of Hastur (KR#262): attack the target’s CON. (The king’s Cry, Music at the Court in Yellow, Bring Forth the Festering Boil of Great Agony and Torment)
Strike Blind (MoN#638): melt the target’s eyeballs.
Wave of Oblivion (KR#265): swallow the target in a great ocean wave. (Song of the Ocean’s Fist, The Salt Gift, Ye Watery Doom)
Wither Limb (KR#265): permanently wither the target’s limbs. (The Song of Pain, Shrivel Thy Enemy, The Wasting Burn)
Words of Power (KR#265): thoroughly convince an audience of what you are saying. (Serkhmenkenhep’s Words, Beguile the Unrighteous, Mastery of the Mob)
Wrack (KR#265): temporarily blind and incapacitate a target. (Woeful Agony of the Wretched, The Festering Blindness oft he Seven Hells, Rend Enemy)
Creatures and Gods
Banishment of Yde Etad (KR#246): banish human-like unearthly intelligences that are not being controlled by something else. Requires multiple casters (at least 3). (Banish Spawn of the Seven Hells, Cast Out Demon, Curse of Awful Fire)
Bind Animal (MoN#630): compels an animal to perform a single specific command.
Bind Creature (KR#265): compels a creature to perform a single specific command. Name varies based on the target, eg:
- Bind Byakhee: (Obligation of the Steed, Compel the Journeyed)
- Bind Dark Young: (Entrance the Heart Wood, Command the Forest for Thy Bidding)
- Bind Dimensional Shambler: (The Copper Binding, Entrapment of the Searing Light)
- Bind Fire Vampire: (Annexation of the Fiery Devil, Authority of the Blazing Tongue
- Bind Hunting Horror: (Tie The Twisting Fear to Thy Will, Deed of Murder)
- Bind Nightgaunt: (Mastery of the Facel;ess Ones, &The Elder Token by which They will Know You*)
- Bind Servitor of the Outer Gods: (The Secret Note of Command, Pact of Wittering Madness)
- Bind Star Vampire: (Vow of the Bloody Accord, The Ungodly Promise)
Call Deity (KR#248): physically brings an avatar or god to the caster. Name and requirements vary based on the target, eg:
- Call Azathoth: cast outside at night. (Petition of Chaos, The Unspeakable Vowel of the Shaggai)
- Call Cthuga: cast on clear nights when Formalhaut is visible. (Evocation of the Fiery Burning Doom, The Formalhaut Convention)
- Call Hastur: build a large stone altar and cast outside at night when Aldebaran is visible. (The Yellow Petition)
- Call Ithaqua: cast on a snowy mountain below freezing. (The Seven Oaths of the North Wind, Invoke the Ice God)
- Call Nyogtha: cast at the entrance to any cavern. (Petition Thy Dark Master Through The Vigorous Wailing, Call Favor from HE which Dwells Below)
- Call Shub-Niggurath: cast a spell at a consecrated altar under the dark of the moon. (The Sacred Rites of Union, Bring Forth The Carnal Desire of the Wood Nymph)
- Call Yog-Sothoth: cast atop a stone tower with a sacrificial victim present. (The Forbidden Song of the Key, The Yah-Zek Channeling)
Contact Creature (KR#250): inform a random member of the targeted race that you wish to communicate. One or more representatives will arrive in the near future unless the distance is too great. Requirements vary based on the target, eg:
- Contact Cthonian: cast where there is access from the interior of the planet.
- Contact Deep One: cast at the edge of a saltwater sea or ocean.
- Contact Elder Thing: cast at the southern part of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge or over the geological trenches nearest Antarctica.
- Contact Flying Polyp: cast at a shaft to their underground cities.
- Contact Formless Spawn: cast at a temple of Tsathoggua or at a spot near an opening to N’Kai.
- Contact Ghoul: cast on a moonlit night near a lot of corpses.
- Contact Gnoph-Keh: build an effigy and sing the ritual in Greenland or the frozen wastes near the North Pole.
- Contact Hound of Tindalos: no requirements, it will come immediately.
- Contact Mi-Go: cast in a mountain range known to be mined by them.
- Contact Rat-Thing: cast at a site infested with them.
- Contact Sand-Dweller: cast in a desert.
- Contact Servitor of the Outer Gods: first make a Luck roll to see if one is present in the Milky Way, then cast at night under the stars with a sacrificial victim present.
- Contact Spirits of the Dead: I don’t like this one because it makes humans too important!
- Contact Star-Spawn of Cthulhu: cast at an ocean shore.
- Contact Yithian: if a Yithian mind is currently possessing someone within a 100-mile distance, it will respond.
Contact Deity (KR#252): opens telepathic communication with a god. They tend to respond in visions, dreams, and nightmares.
Dismiss Deity (KR#249): send away an avatar or god which doesn’t want to leave. No specific names or requirements.
Summon Creature (KR#263): physically brings a random member of the targeted race. Normally also binds it and compels it to perform a single specific command beore returning. Name and requirements vary based on the target, eg:
- Summon Byakhee: cast at night when Aldebaran is visible, and blow a whistle. (Call into Service Thy Steed, The Melody that brings the Journeyed)
- Summon Dark Young: cast outdoors in a wood during the dark of the moon and sacrifice a victim. (Envoke the Darke of the Forest, Knife Ritual of the Bleeding Bark)
- Summon Dimensional Shambler: cast at any time, requires a dagger made out of a pure metal. (Recitation to Bring the Wanderer, The Song of Copper)
- Summon Fire Vampire: cast at night when Formalhaut is visible, requires a bonfire. (Conjure the Glittering Ones, The Autumnal Call of Living Fire)
- Summon Hunting Horror: cast at night in the open air with a sacrificial victim present. (Petition the Feasting Teeth, Utterances That Bring Forth the Twisting Devils)
- Summon Nightgaunt: cast at night when there is no moon, requires an Elder Sign altar. (The Whispered Words of the Faceless Men, Conjure the Winged Shadow)
- Summon Servitor of the Outer Gods: requires a flute. (The Ritual Symphony of the Indescribable Ones, Recitation of the Maddening Piping)
- Summon Star Vampire: cast at night under a cloudless sky, requires a book with the words of the spell inscribed. (The Night Call of the Feasting Death, Chant of the Bloody Letters)
Time Trap (MoN#638): bring a creature or person through time to the caster.
Quicken Fog-Spawn (MoN#636): hatch a fog-spawn and command it.
Create Gate (KR#256): create a stable magical portal to a distant location. Normally anyone can pass through the gate, but some require a key.
Find Gate (KR#256): locate or reveal a nearby gate. This does not grant the ability to open, close, or pass through it. This also does not reveal where the gate goes.
Gate Boxes (KR#256): create a pair of magical boxes which form either end of a gate.
Time Gate (KR#256): create a gate to the future or past of this area.
View Gate (KR#257): see what is on the other side of a gate, without travelling through.
Bless Blade (KR#246): make a blade capable of harming creatures invulnerable to mundane weapons. Enchantment is lost if the blade is broken. (Imbue Might of the Elder Ones, Ritual of the Seven Cuts, Spirit’s Bane)
Brew Space Mead (KR#247): create Space Mead, a drink which permits survival on a journey through space. (Breath of the Void, The Traveler’s Portion, The Quicksilver Draft of Blackest Night)
Create Charm (MoN#632): enchants an object to temporarily improve luck, dodge, etc.
Enchant Book (KR#255): creates a magical book which aids with the summoning and binding of Star Vampires.
Enchant Club (MoN#633): creates a magical club which can harm creatures unaffected by mundane weapons.
Enchant Knife (KR#255): creates a magical knife which aids with the summoning and binding of Dimensional Shamblers, or in sacrificing animals.
Enchantment of the Living Flame (MoN#634): creates a magical torch which can be ued to summon and bind multiple fire vampires.
Enchant Pipes (KR#255): creates a magical knife which aids with the summoning and binding of Servitors of the Outer Gods, or in other spells which require music.
Enchant Dagger (KR#258): creates a magical knife which can be used to kill and drain the POW of a victim.
Enchant Whistle (KR#258): creates a magical knife which aids with the summoning and binding of Byakhees.
Enchanted Dust of Anubis (MoN#633): creates a powder which is harmful to the undead.
Powder of Ibn-Ghazi (KR#261): create a powder which makes unseen things, including auras, visible. (Dust of Seeing, Witness of the Unseen, Compound of Perception)
Prinn’s Crux Ansata (KR#261): creates an ankh that can banish individual mythos creatures. (Sigil of Banishment, The Icon of Expulsion)
Seek the Lost (MoN#637): divine the location of an item.
Apportion Ka (KR#246): enchant and remove organs, gaining conditional invulnerability (eg, lungs give immunity to drowning and airborne poisons). The brain cannot be used. (Imbue Essence, Extraction of the Will, The Deathless Breath)
Blessing of Bast (MoN#630): restores HP and SAN.
Body Warping of Gorgoroth (KR#246): shape shift, possibly into a larger or smaller form. (Mastery of the Flesh, Skin Walking, The Black Pharaoh’s Touch)
Chant of Thoth (KR#249): gain a bonus to a single knowledge-related task. (The Rite of Cerebral Acuity, The Song of Erudite Addition, The Scholars Chorus)
Consume Likeness (KR#250): take on the form of a freshly dead person. Transformation is undone if hurt. (The Snake Skin Cloak, The Valusian Mantle, The Gift of Yig)
Deflect Harm (MoN#633): turn aside attacks for magic points.
Earthly Serenity (MoN#633): feel no pain and do not fall unconscious for an hour.
Empty Mind (MoN#633): temporarily gain POW for the purpose of defending against mental magic.
Flesh Ward (KR#259): gain additional defence. (Protect Thee from Mighty Blows, Armour of the Will, Blood Shield)
Healing (MoN#635): restores HP.
Journey to the Other Side (MoN#636): enter a trance and send the spirit to another plane (eg, the Dreamlands).
Mind Exchange (KR#260): temporarily swap minds with a willing target. (Vice versa Incantation, Rite of Exchange, The Cloak of Another’s Flesh)
Power of Nyambe (MoN#636): gain bonus magic points.
Send Dream (MoN#637): send a short, specific, dream to a target.
Voice of Ra (MoN#638): temporarily increase the caster’s APP and social skills.
Voorish Sign (KR#265): increase the potency of the next use of magic. (Sign of Power, Cunninge Pass)
Create Barrier of Naach-Tith (KR#253): creates a transparent 100-yard-diameter spherical barrier around the target. Anything bisected by the edge when is cast is pushed outside. (Great Ward of Naach-Tith, The Unseen Sphere that Traps the Demon)
Elder Sign (KR#255): activates a ward which protects against the mythos. For example, it disables a gate. (The Elder Seal, The Omen Branch, The Five Points of Wisdom)
Eye of Light and Darkness (MoN#634): a more potent version of an Elder Sign, needs several people performing the ritual overnight.
Seal of Isis (MoN#637): protects inanimate objects from magical attack. Does not protect people or act as a barrier to entry.
Seal of Nephren-Ka (MoN#637): creates a barrier against spirits and spells. The caster of the Seal is able to cast other spells within it unrestrained.
Ward of Anubis (MoN#638): create a ring of stones which alert the caster if disturbed or crossed.
Warding (KR#265): like Ward of Anubis, but does not warn if the stones are only crossed. (Stones of Safekeeping, Leave Thy Burden to the Rock, Circle of Protection)
Augury (MoN#630): reveals portents of the future.
Cast Out the Devil (MoN#631): frees a target from possession by another entity.
Create Mist of R’lyeh (KR#253): create a dense volume of mist in front of the caster. (Ye Terrible Cloud, Breath of the Dark Sea, The Dank Fog of Sailor’s Lost)
Create Zombie (KR#253): turn a corpse into a zombie which obeys the caster. The zombie continues to rot. (Ritual of the Undying, Black Binding, The Ashen Cowl, Raising of the Dead)
Create Ciimba (MoN#632): variant of Create Zombie. Ciimba are better at guarding and fighting.
Dismiss Spirit (MoN#633): variant of Cast Out the Devil.
Resurrection (KR#262): reduce a corpse to its essential salts, or resurrect a creature from the salts. (The Rite of Knowledge Long Lost, Recrudescence, Rite of Salts)