This week I’ve been doing a lot of machine learning stuff with Amazon SageMaker. We’re trying to host the training and deployment of our ML model for ranking search results. It’s been fiddly, but I think I’m almost there: I’ll write up a more detailed blog post when it’s done.
I’ve been reading about the Zettelkasten method for keeping notes. It sounds interesting, and I’d like to give it a try. But first I need to get some index cards. I could do it digitally, but I’ve tried many digital note-taking systems (including these memos), but nothing has really stuck. Maybe an analogue system will work better for me.
Here are some more articles about Zettelkasten and note-taking:
- The Zettelkasten Method
- Luhmann’s Zettelkasten
- Why Categories for Your Note Archive are a Bad Idea
- Noguchi Filing System
- Your First Note – Don’t Overthink It
I decided to level up my kitchen abilities, so I bought a few cookbooks:
- The Science of Spice: Understand flavour connections and revolutionize your cooking
- my bread: The revolutionary no-work, no-knead method
- Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
- The Noma Guide to Fermentation
- The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, recipes and ideas for the creative cook
I’ve been reading the bread book and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. I made some bread, which went pretty well, but I can see some ways to improve it. I also made some mayonnaise, which was much harder than expected (getting egg yolk to combine with oil is tricky), but worked pretty well. There’s a lot more I want to try, but my first goal is seeing if I can make good enough bread to not need to buy it any more. For that I need to make it more bread-shaped, rather that “squashed football” shape, so I can use it for sandwiches.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Deliberate Practice
- Finally Understand How to Keep a Bullet Journal
- The Year Ahead - the morning paper
- What’s going on with A&E waiting times?
- Peter Kirstein, Father of the European Internet, Is Dead at 86
- Talk write-up: “How to build a PaaS for 1500 engineers”
- #01 - NixOS Weekly
- This Week in Rust 320
- Issue 193 :: Haskell Weekly