I did a bunch of small tech debt / platform health related issues this week:
- Updated a bunch of docs about data replication to use the govuk-docker scripts.
- Fixed a few bugs in replicating postgresql state.
- Made some maintenance scripts use Elasticsearch 6 instead of Elasticsearch 5 (which no longer exists—I don’t think those scripts are used much).
- Removed an unused dashboard.
- Fixed some Elasticsearch 6 deprecation warnings.
- …and some more.
- …and again.
- Tidied up some reranking code.
- And did some preliminary work so we can track reranking.
- Stopped non-English content getting into search.
Another session of Learn to Code lesson 2 ran on Friday, and I helped out.
I’m off next week.
- Mostly preparing for the move: packing things, throwing away things I don’t want to pack, collecting the keys, ferrying a bunch of stuff over in suitcases when it became apparent that I didn’t have enough boxes…
- Internet world despairs as non-profit .org sold for $$$$ to private equity firm, price caps axed
- Winter is coming even more quickly
- Facial Recognition Software Knows It Has Seen Man Before But Can’t Remember His Name
- It’s Way Too Easy to Get a .gov Domain Name
- Man or boy test
- The Last Person on Earth Without Windows 95
- Issue 187 :: Haskell Weekly
- This Week in Rust 314
- Inventing an Operation to Solve x^x = y
- An Overview of Distributed Systems and the Consensus Problem
- The Last Question by Isaac Asimov