The major differences between memos and blog posts are two: audience and intent:
- Memos are written primarily for me, to clarify something in my mind, or to record something for future reference.
- Blog posts are written primarily for others, to communicate something I already know and understand.
A few lesser differences arise consequently:
- Memos may be updated as I revise my understanding; whereas blog posts are typically set in stone.
- Memos have a much lower (effectively zero) standard of writing before publication.
- I feel less bad about using words like “thus” and “whilst” in memos, a habit my supervisor has tried to crush in my academic writing.